BBQ PULLED JACKFRUIT
- 5 pounds 4Earth Farms™ Jackfruit
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp. liquid smoke
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup vegan BBQ sauce (your favorite store-bought or homemade kind)
- Buns for pulled pork sandwiches or corn tortillas for gluten-free pulled jackfruit tacos
- Carefully cut the jackfruit in half and cut out the core. Pull out the jackfruit’s fleshy pods and remove their seeds.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add and sauté the onions for about 7 minutes or until translucent, then add the garlic and sauté for about a minute longer.
- Add the jackfruit, sugars, spices, and liquid smoke. Stir until the jackfruit is evenly covered.
- Add the vegetable broth, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes or until liquid is mostly absorbed.
- Use a spatula to mash and divide the jackfruit until it looks similar in appearance to pulled pork.
- Transfer and spread the jackfruit onto a baking sheet and cook in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and evenly coat the jackfruit with the BBQ sauce.
- Return the jackfruit to the oven and cook for another 10-15 minutes or until the jackfruit is lightly browned
Serve and enjoy!
Recipe courtesy of Allrecipes.com